Tuesday, January 15, 2019

My winning table topic Jan 15 2019 on Your Wedding Day

At Bukit Timah Toastmasters, at Bukit Timah Community Centre, in Singapore, I was given the table topic for a two-minute impromptu speech:
Question Tell us about your wedding day.

Answer:
My wedding day was surprising, not one surprise but three surprises. The first was that I expected some ex-boyfriend of mine to rush in, the way they do in the movies, shouting, "Stop! Don't do it. Marry me instead." But nobody did.

I looked all around, up in the gallery, at the back - nobody. I was very surprised.

My husband-to-be did not look surprised. Nor did his mother. Nor did my mother.

Nothing for it but to continue. I was wearing a long white dress. You ladies will know how careful you have to be walking in a long white dress. You must not go too fast or you are likely to catch your pointed-toe shoes in the hem of your dress and trip yourself up.

My father dragged me along at a fast pace, the way impatient men with long legs do. (Maybe he wanted to marry me off in a hurry.) I was trying to proceed at a slow stately pace, but he insisted on rushing up the aisle to hand me over.

When I got there my mother started a running commentary of advice as if I were a five-year-old. "Stand up. Speak up." I felt like a competitor in a televised race with a commentator voice over.

Finally, we had finished, I thought, and went to sign the register. But the best man was my husband's cousin and somebody queried whether a cousin was too close to be a witness. It turned out that the cousin was distant enough to be a witness.

After all those stressful surprises I never wanted to get married again. That's why my husband and I are still married!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home