Thursday, March 28, 2019

Do you hate or love being a timer? Advice for novices?

I used to hate being a timer. I was flummoxed by finding and setting a timer. I listened to a speech and forgot to time it.

Today I was forced into being a timer at the last minute. Another timer didn't turn up and I was moved into the timer role, jointly with one other person. No time to refuse.

We went to be briefed by the Chief Judge.
He reminded us of the different times for the planned speech, impromptu speeches and table topics, test speaker, and evaluations of the test speaker.
.
However, I learned a lot from my fellow timer Christy. Firstly, she was keen on being a timer. She thought it was an easy role. Less work than being a judge.

She watched the time on her mobile phone. I knew how to do that. I copied her to remind myself.
1 Pull up all the many icons for apps.
2 Find clock.
3 Select not timer but stopwatch.

Timing Speakers
Wait for the speaker to start. Either:
1 Watch the phone. When you hear the speaker's first words, press the start symbol.
Or, if you think you might miss their miming or gestures:
2 Keep your finger hovering above the start key. Watch the speaker. As soon as they start to speak, press down on the start key.

It sets itself to zero. When the speaker starts speaking you click on the start button.

I think you should have a second phone as backup. My phone kept switching itself off.

I asked Christy to help. She took my phone and went into settings and lengthened the time before the phone switches itself off.

Speakers
I realised why speakers are not allowed to march down the central aisle. People at the front would not hear. Contest chair panics that you are intending to leave the room. If you pass the lights, you cannot see the lights.

In addition to timing the speakers, you need to time other parts of the meeting:

The one minute allowed to judges to mark papers before ballot counters collect ballots.

Break
Time the refreshment break - bring everybody back.

Time the test speaker.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home